ASCE Concrete Canoe Team Places 4th
The ASCE Concrete Canoe team placed 4th out of 12 teams overall in technical qualifications at the 2018 ASCE New England Student Conference held on April 29 at the University of Vermont. Due to high river water flow, the canoe races were cancelled this year. The theme this year was Ancient Rome.
The objectives of the Concrete Canoe Competition are as follows:
- Providing civil engineering students an opportunity to gain hands-on, practical experience and leadership skills by working with concrete mix designs and project management.
- Building awareness of the versatility and durability of concrete as a construction material among civil engineering students, educators and practitioners, as well as the general public.
- Creating awareness of concrete technology and application among civil engineering students, educators and practitioners, as well as the general concrete industry.
- Generating and increasing awareness of ASCE’s and national sponsors’ commitment to civil engineering education among civil engineering students, educators and practitioners, and well as the general public.
- Increasing awareness among industry leaders, opinion makers and the general public of civil engineering as a dynamic and innovative profession essential to society.
- Increasing awareness of the value and benefits of ASCE membership among civil engineering students and faculty in order to foster lifelong membership and participation in the Society.